Saturday, November 20, 2010

Its official--I am licensed to practice law in the state of Texas

One of the final steps in the attorney licensing process is the swearing in ceremony.  Each new lawyer must take an oath to uphold the constitution of the United States and the state in which she practices, and to conduct herself honestly and faithfully in the best interests of her clients.  My co-clerk, Janice, also took the Texas bar exam.  Neither of us were planning to travel back to Texas for the state-wide swearing in ceremony, so we opted to have Judge Dyk swear us in.  Ryan was able to attend and act as the official photographer for the event.

- S










On a trip to Texas a few years ago the judge was given a pair of boots as a gift.  He says he never wears them because he doesn't think he can pull off boots.  As a joke I asked him if he would wear the boots to swear us in since we were being admitted to the Texas bar.  Surprisingly he agreed--I think he had as much fun with it as we did.  The morning of the swearing-in ceremony he gave the two of us a bit of grief for not showing up in boots of our own.  We then had to tell him that neither of us actually owned a pair.


1 comment:

  1. I love this. I got my bar card in the mail this week - hooray for lawyers! :)

    ReplyDelete